The proposed automated diagnostics system to study the
ecological condition of soil is a hardware programme
complex intended for work in field conditions. It is
supposed that the system will be installed on a mobile
The system is of a fundamentally different kind than
similar devices and has the following properties:
1. by the amalgamation, in one complex of the techniques
and hardware which have never been applied anywhere in
such a combination.
2. By using the newest developments in the field of soil
parameter measurements. Now the prototype of this
system and the combination of techniques and hardware,
developed by the Russian partner exists.
3. By the availability of a database containing ecological
normative documents. The Italian and Russian partners
have accumulated ecological normative documents over the
4. By the availability of a database containing
descriptions of unfavourable soil appearances. The
Russian partner has studied and accumulated information
about these appearances for a long time.
5. By the possibility of comparison of measured soil
parameters with ecological normative indexes and the
ability to operatively evaluate the ecological
conditions of soil.
6. By the possibility of comparison of measured soil
parameters with the index of unfavourable soil
appearances and produce diagnostics showing the origin
of destructive soil processes.
7. By the availability of a Geographical Information
System (GIS) and multimedia to create electronic maps
showing the ecological conditions of the soil. Finnish
and Russian partners have wide experience in the
creation of GIS projects for the management of
agricultural and urban sites. There is software
and hardware for the project: MGE and GEOMEDIA -
INTERGRAF, GEOENGINEERING, SUITE-BENTLEY.
8. By the possibility of including the given system in a
regional control system of the ecological condition of
soil and using it on an on-line regime.
The main problems to be solved by the proposed project are:
* Synthesis of various techniques and hardware use in the
ecology of soil and related fields;
* Development of new and adoptation of standard software
supporting the operation of the hardware of a complex
and ensuring visualisation and interpretation of the
outcomes of various research;
* Development of a database containing the ecological
* Development of a database containing the exhibition of
unfavourable soil appearances;
* Creation of electronic maps reflecting the ecological
* Development and manufacturing of two demonstrative
samples of the field measuring complex.
Two demonstrative samples of an automated diagnostics
system to measure the ecological conditions of soil will be