The target of the proposed project is the development and
optimization of technology for processing of slags, scrap,
ash and other powder wastes in order to re-use them - in
the steel-making industry.
The main advantages of the suggested modifiers are:
a) Today's customers (in the steel manufacturing industry)
use traditional modifiers that are: not-effective, heavily
polluting and expensive in comparison to the suggested new
- Customers use Calcium Fluoride (environmental hazard) to
reduce the viscosity of steel slag.
- Applying magnesium powder and Calcium Carbide for sulphur
- Applying Ferrous alloys of various types for de-
- Using conventional ferrous scrap for steel manufacturing.
b) The suggested new modifier will improve the customer
manufacturing process (being more efficient, effective and
economic) and eliminate environmental problems.
The developed new modifiers will be:
1. Ferrous Oxide - Carbon briquettes with exothermal
additives, which substitute ferrous scrap and reduce energy
consumption during the steel making process. Ferrous oxide
- carbon briquettes are cheaper in comparison with
2. Steel slag formers - non-ferrous metal granules and
oxide mixtures made from industrial wastes. They are
applied to protect, refine and to de-oxidize molten steel
at the end of the processing steps. The new composition of
mixtures ensures high effectiveness and consequently less
consumption in comparison to the existing modifier (mixture
'Scorialit SPH'). Our product is prepared from dust wastes
and granules and costs less than other conventional
3. Aluminium waste briquettes for reducing steel slag
viscosity substitute calcium fluoride in the steel making
process. They are at least 50% cheaper than calcium
fluoride; however the quality of steel is at the same high
The advantages of the suggested steel manufacturing
modifiers are as follows:
1. High effective modifiers with new compositions, by
applying magnesium oxides.
2. Low price of our modifiers in comparison to conventional
products such as fluoride, calcium carbide and others.
3. Replacement of usual ferrous scrap by low price, oxide-
carbon briquettes with exothermic additives.
4. Ecologically-friendly modifiers without fluoride content.
For production of these products the special powder
technology is offered and will be developed.
The main feature of PM technology offered is the
development of the new flexible shear warm compaction
technology. The main operations of this technology are
mixing and heating of the mixture due to exothermic
reactions effect, shear warm compaction of the mixture with
definite composition, drying and packing of products. The
new shear warm compaction technique ensures obtaining high
density and high strength of briquettes that consist of
This flexible technology is applied:
1. To compact ferrous oxide-carbon briquettes with
2. To compact briquettes from reactive aluminium slag dust
3. To compact high density metal pallets (bars, wires and
others) from scrap and powders.
The shear forming (compaction) technology will be combined
with granulation operation in order to obtain non-ferrous
metal granules in a single production cycle of preparing of
steel slag formers of various types.
Keywords: recycling, metallurgy, slag.