Korea and Spain are announcing the Call for Proposals for joint R&D projects, focusing on developing innovative products and applications in all technological and application areas. Applicants are expected to develop ready to market solutions or projects which have strong market potential for Korea and Spain.
- KIAT (Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology) and CDTI (Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology, E.P.E. ) will provide access to public funding for joint projects. Support shall be granted to each partner by its own Authorities, in accordance with existing laws, rules, regulations and national procedures, on the basis of non-exchange of funds between those Authorities and subject to budgetary availability
- The call is announced within the framework of the bilateral Cooperation Agreement on Industrial Cooperation between KIAT and CDTI. The call is managed in cooperation and in line with the procedures of EUREKA Programme .
- KIAT and CDTI will provide all necessary assistance to project partners during project proposal, evaluation and monitoring phase. In addition, both parties will facilitate EUREKA application process and the acquisition of the EUREKA label for accepted proposals.
The 2018 Call will be opened until 31st August 2018 at 18:00 (local time). These calls are in line with EUREKA Program.
Eligible partners are invited to present joint proposals for industrial R&D projects according to the following criteria:
- The partners should consist of least one Korean and one Spanish R&D performing company. Participation of research institutes/universities is welcome as additional participants or subcontractors according to each country’s funding regulations.
- Innovative projects ready to market, which have also strong market potential for Korea and Spain, are expected.
- The project should have an obvious advantage and added value resulting from the cooperation between the participants from the two countries and should meet the following criteria:
- Technological excellence and qualification of the applicants (assessment by external referees or expert committee).
- Contribution to the competitiveness in the area of research.
- Sustainability of the project: long-term strategy of the partnership.
- Intensity of the collaboration with between the Korean and Spanish partners.
- Ability of the teams to successfully conclude the project.
- Mutual advancement of research through the transfer of knowledge and expertise.
- The project should demonstrate the contribution of the participants from both countries and must be significant to them.
- All the technological areas are welcome although the targeted industrial areas are preferred: Bio including Health; Green technologies, including Energy; Smart city and Transportation; Information and Communication technologies; Nanotechnology; Materials; New Production Technologies and Aerospace.
Any partner whose cooperative R&D project is consistent with the aforesaid criteria can apply to the present announcement in accordance with the national Laws, Rules, Regulations and Procedures in effect.
Submission and Approval Procedures
The completed electronic forms should be submitted to KIAT and CDTI simultaneously by 31st August 2018 for the second call in 2018.
Partners will be asked to present the following common documents in KIAT and CDTI:
- EUREKA Application form signed by the legal representatives of all participants. The signatures pages can be scanned and sent in a separate document. Download the application form.
- Consortium Agreement signed by the legal representatives of all participants.
The common documentation will be included at national agencies’ procedure as part of the whole process:
Procedure in KIAT
The participants will submit a formal national application through KIAT Project Advanced Smart System.
Procedure in CDTI
Participants will submit a formal R&D international project application through CDTI-EPE´s website () including the common documents mentioned above. Additional documents in Spanish, containing detailed information on the Spanish participants, could be requested depending on the specific type of funding requested by the company.
The applications will be screened and evaluated by KIAT and CDTI. The applicants will be notified of the results of the evaluation process no later than December
Each country will fund its eligible participants in the framework of EUREKA programmes, subject to budget availability, on a non-exchange of funds basis and according to their national procedures and funding rules. Funding conditions and eligibility criteria may vary from one country to another. The main aspects of funding criteria are described below:
CDTI will finance industrial research and/or technological development activities to Spanish companies. Universities and research centers can be funded as subcontractors. Funding conditions may consist on soft loans or and grants.
Spanish tasks in the project can only start after submitting the funding application to CDTI. For further information contact directly CDTI.
The Korean dedicated budget provided by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) and managed by KIAT is open to all applications from companies with registered R&D laboratories, research institutes and universities. The partners should consist of at least one Korean and one Spain R&D performing company. Participation of research institutes or universities is welcome as additional participants or subcontractors according to each country’s funding regulations.
Project funding is comprised of government contributions and civilian dues (cash and in-kind). The amount of government contributions will vary depending on the type of executing organizations and project in accordance with Article 24 (Funding criteria) and Article 25 (Civilian dues) of the Common Operational Regulations for the Industrial Technology Innovation Programs.
A party that participates in a project shall carry out its project using the government contributions allocated to it, and for-profit organizations shall individual bear the cash portion of civilian dues.
|Classification||Share of government contributions in executing organization’s project budget||Share of cash in executing organization’s civilian dues|
|Original technology||Innovative product||Original technology||Innovative product|
|Large company||50% or less||33% or less||60% or more|
|Mid-tier company||70% or less||50% or less||50% or more|
|SME||75% or less||67% or less||40% or more|
|Other||100% or less||100% or less||To be borne if necessary|