- Call launch: 2nd – March -2020
- Deadline for submission of international applications: 1st – July-2020
- Eligibility feedback to applicants: 17th – July-2020
- Eureka label (estimated): November -2020
Bpifrance (French Public Investment Bank) from France and CDTI, E.P.E. from Spain are announcing this call for Proposals for joint R&D projects, focusing on developing innovative products and applications in all technological and market areas. Applicants are expected to develop ready to market solutions or projects which have strong market potential for France and Spain.
Although this call invites projects in ALL thematic areas or application domains, special focus is given to the following domains:
- Transport (including automotive and aeronautics)
- Agrofood technology
The French National Authority is Bpifrance, the French Public Investment Bank, which is in the service of the financing and development of companies. CDTI is the Spanish National Authority, responsible for fostering the technological development and innovation of Spanish companies.
Both Bpifrance and CDTI will provide all necessary assistance to project partners during project proposal preparation and submission, evaluation and monitoring phase. In addition, both parties will facilitate EUREKA application process and acquisition of the EUREKA label for accepted proposals.
These organizations will also provide access to public funding for the joint projects. The support will be given to each partner by its own Authorities in accordance with the national laws, rules, regulations and procedures in effect, on a non-exchange of funds basis, and subject to budgetary availability in each country.
Eligible partners are invited to present joint proposals for industrial R&D projects according to the following criteria:
- The partners should include at least one French and one Spanish company. Participation of research institutes/universities and other organizations is welcome as self-funded participants or subcontractors according to each country’s funding regulations.
- Organizations from other countries may also participate, but they will not be funded by CDTI or by Bpifrance.
- The French and Spanish partners must express their will to cooperate to the development of a new product, industrial process or service. The product, process or service must be innovative and there must be a technological risk involved.
- The project should have an obvious advantage and added value resulting from the technological cooperation between the participants from the countries (e.g. increased knowledge base, commercial leads, access to R&D infrastructure etc.).
- The project should demonstrate the contribution of all participants and the project must be significant to them.
- The participants are required, prior to obtain the EUREKA label, to have signed a consortium agreement.
Any partner whose cooperative R&D project is consistent with the aforesaid criteria can apply to the present announcement in accordance with the national laws, rules, regulations and procedures in effect.
Submission and approval procedures at international level
Participants are invited to contact the officers from the National Authorities (see contact details at the end of the text) before submitting the documents.
All partners must complete the Eureka project application form online. Partners will have to submit their applications on Eureka platform as well as on each National Authority´s website according to the procedures of each one:
- In addition to the centrally submitted EUREKA Project Application Form and Annex, project partners that want to receive funding from Bpifrance need to submit a national application, including a detailed project plan and budget.
It is recommended that the French partners contact Bpifrance before applying, in order to get advice on the national application. The funding applied is Aide au Développement de l’Innovation.
The national application shall be submitted through Bpifrance’s normal application portal.
- In Spain the participants will have to submit a formal R&D international project aid application through CDTI’s website including the Eureka Application form (in English) and the draft consortium agreement. Additional documents in Spanish language, containing detailed information on the Spanish participants, could be requested depending on the specific type of funding requested by the company.
Funding conditions and procedures at national level
The funding support will be given to each eligible partner by its own National Authority. Funding conditions and eligibility criteria may vary from country to country. The information regarding funding for each country is explained below:
French funding scheme: ADI (Aide pour le développement de l’innovation) requirements:
- Partnerships: Two or more industrial partners (a Foreign company and a French company)
- No country or partner representing more than 75% of the total budget of the project.
- Eligible Beneficiaries: French companies up to 2000 fulltime equivalents (FTE)
- Eligible costs: Industrial research and experimental development (industrialization and commercialization costs are not eligible)
- Funding amount: from € 50,000 up to € 3 Million (submitted to financial analysis of the company and financial conditions)
- Duration: maximum of 36 months
- Funding: zero interest rate loan or repayable advance reimbursable in case of technical success
Beforehand, French companies can also request financial support to set up their partnership:
- APT (Aide au Partenariat Tech): grant of up to 20k€ for 50% of your costs related to prospecting partners, feasibility studies, etc. Any payment is subject to a signed consortium agreement.
If selected, French companies will have to submit a funding application form to their Regional Office as well as a consortium agreement in the English language that regulates the terms of cooperation between all partners.
CDTI will finance industrial research and/or technological development activities of Spanish companies. Application must be submitted within 20 working days after receiving the communication of eligibility. Universities and research centers could take part as subcontractors.
Funding conditions for Spanish partners may vary depending on the nature of the project and the beneficiaries. For more information please access.
Funding decision is expected within 3 months after submitting an eligible funding application.
It is mandatory that project activities do not start before submitting the funding applications to CDTI. For further information, please contact CDTI.
According to EUREKA’s practices, applicants may choose to request a label without public financing (e.g. self-funding is also applicable).
Monitoring and impact
Applicants will be requested to provide information during the lifetime of the project at international level to make sure the project has been developed as expected. Additionally, they will have to provide information regarding the impact of the project once it has been finished.