The Eureka Secretariat is looking for a Java Software Engineer
Eureka is the world’s biggest public network for international cooperation in R&D and innovation, present in over 45 countries.
Since 1985, national and regional ministries and funding agencies in our network have supported the R&D of over 7,000 ground-breaking commercialised innovations that have positively impacted economic growth and industry competitiveness. With several programmes, our network funds international R&D projects between SMEs, large companies, universities and research organisations.
The Brussels Eureka Secretariat supports Eureka’s aim, manages Eureka’s programme operations, develops and maintains IT platforms, stores data and promotes Eureka to other organisations and beneficiaries.
The Java Software Engineer will be working closely with the Development Tech Lead and fellow developers as a part of our IT team of six people. They will work closely with stakeholders and team members to understand the requirements that drive our analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions must be aligned with Eureka and IT strategies and in compliance with IT’s architectural standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a Java Software Engineer, you will be joining Eureka’s IT department and working on the development of a complex business platform for grant management, including all steps and levels needed to manage funding opportunities (calls for projects): selection processes, evaluation and the funding of R&D and innovation projects from around the world.
You will be responsible for the maintenance, development and implementation of applications’ build, release, deployment and configuration activities.
You work with internal business partners to gather and analyse business requirements, prototyping, architecting, implementing or updating solutions, building and executing test plans, performing quality reviews, managing operations and and triaging and fixing operational issues.
You must be able to adjust to business change (e.g. new requirements, evolving goals and strategies and emerging technologies).
You must be able to interact, develop, engineer and communicate collaboratively at the highest technical levels with end users, vendors, partners and all employees.
The profile we are looking for
- A level of higher education that corresponds to completed post-secondary education of at least three years attested by a diploma (e.g. bachelor degree) in computer science.
- At least three years of relevant experiences as a Java software developer.
- Familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment.
Excellent knowledge of software and application design.
- Strong Java development background (e.g. Spring Boot, Gradle, Spring Data, Spring Security).
- Proficiency in writing unit test and integration test.
- Experienced with containerisation (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
- Strong analysis, design and development skills in the context of multi-tier applications.
- Good knowledge of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (e.g. JPA2, Hibernate).
- Proficiency in software engineering tools and an ability to document requirements and specifications.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning, such as Git and Atlassian tools (e.g. Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence).
- Experience in an Agile framework (e.g. Scrum, Kanban).
- Basic understanding of hosting infrastructure VM, Linux, Cloud Infrastructure (AWS), etc. is a plus.
- Good knowledge of Devops and CI/CD (e.g. AWS, Bamboo) is a plus.
- Knowledge of bash scripting and writing acceptance test is a plus.
- Ability to output clean, commented and team-friendly code.
- Ability to give technical support to end users and perform troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions.
- Ability to analyse business requirements and recommend technical solutions.
- A readiness to embrace and use new approaches and to keep up to date with industry advances.
- Solid organisational skills, attentive to details, good multitasking and time-management.
- An ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, schedules and step-by-step action plans.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- Ability to think outside the box, devising new approaches to make improvements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A passion for development and an eagerness to learn.
Genuinely excited to help Eureka embrace digitisation.
Enthusiastic and self-driven, with a high degree of commitment.
- Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, agile and multicultural environment.
- Good English - other European languages are an asset
Remuneration and work conditions
- An open-ended contract to work in our IT department.
- A competitive salary with preferential tax treatment (copyrights) in-line with your competencies, plus attractive extra-legal benefits like working from home, a flexible work schedule, extra-legal vacation days, group and hospitalisation plans, free public transport to commute to the office, etc.
- An international and dynamic team of roughly 35 employees from 16 different countries.
- A nice and modern working environment, close to the centre of Brussels and the European quarter, easily reachable by public transport (only an escalator away from Merode metro and train station) and close to many restaurants and shops.
- Eureka strongly lives by the values of trust, transparency, passion, creativity, autonomy, collaboration, work-life balance and diversity across all our teams and our whole network of customers and partners.
Please apply for this post by sending an email with your CV and motivation letter attached to firstname.lastname@example.org, writing “Solutions Engineer-Java Software Engineer” and your full name in the subject line of the email.
By sending an application, candidates give their consent to their diplomas and references being verified.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in in the European Union.
The Eureka Association is an equal opportunities employer.