Moulding plastic as easily as clay
A consortium of German and Austrian companies and a university has successfully found a way to incorporate heating systems into moulds, saving money, time and energy in a significant manufacturing process: moulding plastic. The project participants capitalised on the benefits of thermal spraying to create resource-efficient metal moulds that can fit heating and cooling systems beneath their surface.
The SPRAYFORMING project has driven advances in both near-market and fundamental science and we anticipate a growing interest from industries moulding carbon fibre-reinforced plastics (project participant Airbus has already integrated these moulds into their manufacturing process). Widespread excitement about SPRAYFORMING has also encouraged new collaborations that distribute and promote this innovative technique.
Project funded by FFG and BMBF
- Schmuhl Faserverbundtechnik GmbH & Co. KG (Germany – SME)
- Bundeswehr University Munich (Germany – university)
- Neue Materialien Bayreuth GmbH (Germany – SME)
- Quickstep GmbH (Germany – SME)
- ALPEX Technologies GmbH (Austria – SME and leading role)