Eureka and Canada
Canadian organisations participating in international R&D projects are eligible for funding through our Network projects, Globalstars, Eurostars and Clusters programmes. If you are based in Canada and seeking funding for an R&D project, your first point of contact is with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC). The NRC supports Canadian organisations interested in international collaboration giving them access to expertise and supporting their growth.
- 0.20M€ RECEIVED ON AVERAGE BY CANADIAN PARTNERS
- 98.05M€ MOBILISED SINCE 2012
- 31 COUNTRIES COOPERATING WITH CANADA
- 522 CANADIAN ORGANISATIONS INVOLVED SO FAR
Canada offers you
Funding for innovation
If you are an incorporated, for-profit Canadian SME (500 or fewer FTEs) pursuing technology-driven innovation, you can receive funding from the NRC Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP) to share the costs of R&D project activities. Funding for Eureka programmes is provided by NRC IRAP within its technology innovation projects and youth employment programme.
The NRC can help you to find project partners by contacting other national funding bodies in Eureka’s network (consisting of over 45 member countries). The NRC’s international programmes can also help you connect with the strategic partners you need to access new markets and global value chains. The NRC organises and accompanies potential project participants to partnership development activities and key partnering events in collaboration with government departments, such as Global Affairs Canada and organisations in other countries.
For more information on how to find project partners, contact the NRC.
Advice services and support tools
NRC IRAP support goes beyond financial assistance. Get access to:
- Industrial Technology Advisors who offer technical and business advice, referrals and other services from concept to commercialisation,
- an extensive network of regional, national and international partners, such as the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service, that can give you access to customised support (including business and technology advice and competitive intelligence) and connect you with local sources of financing, expertise and more.
There are additional services available for Canadian organisations:
- Commercialise and export on the CanExport Innovation programme (led by Global Affairs Canada)
- Meet investors and mentors through the Canadian Technology Accelerators
If there isn’t funding available for your organisation through the NRC, consult these organisations:
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada supports postsecondary researchers pursuing discovery and innovation solution-driven research. Their Alliance grant allows university researchers to collaborate with partner public, private or non-profit organisations.
- Mitacs builds domestic and international partnerships with universities, large companies, governments and other organisations to support innovative projects that generate social and economic benefits.
Clusters (5 funded)
Industry-driven programmes with thematic communities of experts, large companies, SMEs, universities and research organisations. Collaborate on R&D projects of any size.Discover Clusters
The European partnership on Innovative SMEs / Eurostars (funded)
Innovative SMEs lead international project consortia and receive national and EU funding to realise their innovation.Discover The European partnership on Innovative SMEs / Eurostars
Calls for R&D projects with partners in a specific country outside the Eureka network.
Network projects (funded)
A flexible programme for R&D projects with any technological focus. You can propose or join a project at any time or take part in our regular calls.Discover Network projects
The EU Partnership on Innovative SMEs / Innowwide (funded)
Innovative SMEs receive a grant of 60,000 euro to assess the viability of research or commercial ambitions in international target markets.Discover The EU Partnership on Innovative SMEs / Innowwide
Connecting startups and SMEs with corporate venturing teams and investors. Participate in international missions and corporate activities.Discover Investment readiness
The programme that interests you isn’t listed as funded?
We recommend that you get in touch with your national contact to talk about funding options even if a programme is listed as not funded. There might still be funding available.
In the absence of any national funding support, it is still possible to participate in a project by self-funding.
Contacts in Canada
Melanie Cullins - Main contact/ National Project Coordinator (NPC)
Eric Holdrinet - Eurostars advisor