The Eurostars programme has eligibility criteria in place to ensure that national funding is allocated to collaborative international R&D projects working on a marketable product, process or service. If your Eurostars project proposal does not meet all our eligibility criteria, your application will be rejected.
Eurostars helps SMEs
Eurostars is primarily a programme for R&D-performing SMEs. This does not exclude the participation of universities or research organisations in a project, but the main project partner must be an R&D-performing SME.
In addition, at least 50% of your total project budget (excluding subcontracting) must come from the SME. If there is more than one R&D-performing SME in the consortium, their combined budgets must equal at least 50% of your total project budget.
Eurostars inspires collaboration
Your project consortium must have partners (independent legal entities) based in at least two different countries participating in the Eurostars programme.
The overall project budget must also reflect the collaborative nature of the Eurostars programme:
- No single organisation can be responsible for providing more than 75% of the total project budget
- No participants from any one country can be responsible for providing more than 75% of the total project budget
Eurostars results in commercialisation
Your Eurostars project must research or develop new products, processes or services with commercialisation in mind. To encourage progress towards commercialisation, the Eurostars programme sets deadlines:
- Projects must be completed less than 36 months after the project start date
- Market introduction (or the start of clinical trials) must be planned within 24 months of the project’s completion
Other legal requirements
- Your project must have a civilian purpose
- None of the participants have convictions for fraudulent behaviour or illegal practices
- None of the participants have been declared bankrupt
Enterprise Estonia has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding.
The next steps
We advise all Eurostars applicants to read the complete guidelines before submitting their project application.
We also recommend Eurostars applicants check their financial viability. This tool indicates whether you have the financial basis you need to apply to the programme.