Eurostars is a funding programme that supports innovative SMEs and project partners (large companies, universities or research organisations) by funding international collaborative R&D and innovation projects. Projects should result in the creation of new products, processes and services that can be rapidly commercialised in European or global markets.
To apply, you must fulfil seven eligibility criteria:
- The project consortium is led by an innovative SME* from a participating country**.
- The project consortium is composed by at least two entities that are independent of one another.
- The project consortium is composed by entities from at least two participating countries, with at least one organisation coming from an EU or Horizon Europe Associated Country.
- The budget of the SMEs from the participating countries (excluding any subcontracting) is 50% or more of the total project cost.
- No single participant or country is responsible for more than 70% of the budget of the project.
- The project duration is 36 months or fewer.
- The project has an exclusive focus on civil applications.
To better understand these criteria, read our eligibility guidelines.
*SMEs (according to the EU definition) with the ambition to collaborate on R&D and innovation with foreign partners to develop new products, processes and services for European and global markets. Innovative SMEs do not need to have a proven track record of R&D activities.
**Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Enterprise Ireland has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding:
- Participating companies must be a client of a national agency (e.g. Enterprise Ireland, IDA or Údarás) to qualify for funding support.
- Participating companies must apply for support through a separate national funding programme that will be evaluated according to local terms and conditions.
- Funding rates and eligibility criteria vary. Participating companies should confirm details with their national agency contact before applying to Eurostars.
- Participating companies that are not a client of a national agency must be in a position to self-fund.
The next steps
Read all our guidelines before submitting your project application.
Check your financial viability. Our tool indicates whether you have the financial capacity to support your costs in the project.