Eurostars is a funding programme that supports innovative SMEs and project partners (large companies, universities or research organisations) by funding international collaborative R&D and innovation projects. Projects should result in the creation of new products, processes and services that can be rapidly commercialised in European or global markets.
To apply, you must fulfil seven eligibility criteria:
- The project consortium is led by an innovative SME* from a participating country**.
- The project consortium is composed by at least two entities that are independent of one another.
- The project consortium is composed by entities from at least two participating countries, with at least one organisation coming from an EU or Horizon Europe Associated Country.
- The budget of the SMEs from the participating countries (excluding any subcontracting) is 50% or more of the total project cost.
- No single participant or country is responsible for more than 70% of the budget of the project.
- The project duration is 36 months or fewer.
- The project has an exclusive focus on civil applications.
To better understand these criteria, read our eligibility guidelines.
*SMEs (according to the EU definition) with the ambition to collaborate on R&D and innovation with foreign partners to develop new products, processes and services for European and global markets. Innovative SMEs do not need to have a proven track record of R&D activities.
**Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
MUR has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding (Decreto legge n. 83/2012, Decreto Ministeriale n. 593 del 26 luglio 2016, Linee guida al DM del 26 luglio 2016 n. 593 and Procedure operative per il finanziamento dei progetti internazionali are applicable for the Eurostars programme. Find these documents here. Specific eligibility rules and conditions for each call are published in the Avviso integrativo nazionale):
- Italian participants must adopt necessary accounting and administrative measures for allocating resources.
- Participating organisations (companies, public and private research organisations, end users and universities) must be based in Italy and meet EU requirements.
- There must be at least one Italian SME in your consortium, and the SME(s) must be responsible for more of the project costs and activities than the other Italian participants.
- Italian participants must not be defaulting on any payments or funding received by MUR.
- Italian participants must not have requested or received funding for the same research or development activities.
- Italian participants must respect law D. Lgs. n. 159 del 06/09/2011 e successive modificazioni ed integrazioni.
- Italian participants must not be following bankruptcy proceedings (as stated in art. 5.4b of DM 593/2016) or a qualify as a company in difficulty (according to EU definitions).
- Italian participants must comply with obligations in the contributory and social security regulations (DURC).
- The Italian participant’s legal representative’s judicial and pending records must be negative.
- All privately funded Italian participants must fulfil the following financial criteria (based on their last approved balance sheet):
- Net assets (capitale netto/ CN) must be greater than the sum of project costs for which the participant has requested funding in the year (CP) minus the sum of contributions received, approved or requested for these projects (I) divided by two: CN > (CP – I)/2
- Financial charges (oneri finanziari/ OF) divided by turnover (fatturato/ F) must be less than 8%: OF/F < 8%
In addition to the Eurostars application, the Italian participants must submit further documentation (signed) to MUR, through their national web platform. Information about these required documents can be find in the platform itself and in the Procedure operative per il finanziamento dei progetti internazionali.
These additional national documents must be submitted before the same Eurostars programme deadline. Any participant who does not submit the national documents (signed) by the Eurostars deadline will not be eligible for funding.
The next steps
Read all our guidelines before submitting your project application.
Check your financial viability. Our tool indicates whether you have the financial capacity to support your costs in the project.