National funding information and/or requirements may be subject to change. Contact your national funding body using the form below.
Eurostars is a funding programme that supports innovative SMEs and project partners (large companies, universities or research organisations) by funding international collaborative R&D and innovation projects. Projects should result in the creation of new products, processes and services that can be rapidly commercialised in European or global markets.
To apply, you must fulfil seven eligibility criteria:
- The project consortium is led by an innovative SME* from a participating country**.
- The project consortium is composed by at least two entities that are independent of one another.
- The project consortium is composed by entities from at least two participating countries, with at least one organisation coming from an EU or Horizon Europe Associated Country.
- The budget of the SMEs from the participating countries (excluding any subcontracting) is 50% or more of the total project cost.
- No single participant or country is responsible for more than 70% of the budget of the project.
- The project duration is 36 months or fewer.
- The project has an exclusive focus on civil applications.
To better understand these criteria, read our eligibility guidelines.
*SMEs (according to the EU definition) with the ambition to collaborate on R&D and innovation with foreign partners to develop new products, processes and services for European and global markets. Innovative SMEs do not need to have a proven track record of R&D activities.
**Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
SEDA/ VIAA has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding:
- Participating Latvian SMEs and large companies must be a legal entity (with no financial irregularities) based in Latvia and registered in the Commercial Register.
- Companies must submit financial reports from the last two years. If this isn’t possible, contact SEDA/ VIAA for more information before submitting your Eurostars application.
- Universities and research organisations must be a legal entity based in Latvia and registered in the Register of Scientific Institutions.
- Universities and research organisations must have a purely fundamental research role in the project and must not participate in commercialisation activities. If you intend to carry out both economic and non-economic activities, you must separate the types of activities, costs, financing and revenue to avoid any cross-subsidisation of economic activities.
- The procedure for public funding of Eurostars projects is determined by the Republic of Latvia Cabinet of Ministers Regulation No 259 of Granting Aid for Participation in International Cooperation Programmes in the Field of Research and Technologies, issued 26 May 2015.
The next steps
Read all our guidelines before submitting your project application.
Check your financial viability. Our tool indicates whether you have the financial capacity to support your costs in the project.