To apply, you must fulfil seven eligibility criteria:
- The project consortium is led by an innovative SME* from a Eurostars country.
- The project consortium is composed of at least two entities that are independent from one another.
- The project consortium is composed of entities from at least two participating countries with a minimum of one organisation from an EU or Horizon Europe Associated Country.
- The budget of the SMEs from the participating countries (excluding any subcontracting) is 50% or more of the total project cost.
- No single participant or country is responsible for more than 70% of the budget of the project.
- The project duration is 36 months or less***.
- The project has an exclusive focus on civil applications.
*We define an innovative SME as any SMEs with the ambition to collaborate on R&D and innovation with international partners to develop new products, processes and services for European and global markets. Innovative SMEs do not need to have a proven track record of R&D activities.
R&D: “Research and experimental development (R&D) comprise creative and systematic work undertaken in order to increase the stock of knowledge – including knowledge of humankind, culture and society – and to devise new applications of available knowledge.” (OECD Frascati Manual 2015, p. 44)
Innovation: “a new or improved product or process (or combination thereof) that differs significantly from the unit’s previous products or processes and that has been made available to potential users (product) or brought into use by the unit (process).” (OECD Oslo Manual 2018, p. 20)
**Eurostars countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
***If justified, you may be permitted an extension after your project has started. This must be approved by the Independent Evaluation Panel, Eureka Secretariat and relevant national funding bodies.
Please read all our guidelines before submitting a project application. If you do not meet all our eligibility criteria, your application will be rejected.
SEDA/ VIAA has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding:
- Participating Latvian SMEs and large companies must be a legal entity (with no financial irregularities) based in Latvia and registered in the Commercial Register.
- Companies must submit financial reports from the last two years. If this isn’t possible, contact SEDA/ VIAA for more information before submitting your Eurostars application.
- Universities and research organisations must be a legal entity based in Latvia and registered in the Register of Scientific Institutions.
- Universities and research organisations must have a purely fundamental research role in the project and must not participate in commercialisation activities. If you intend to carry out both economic and non-economic activities, you must separate the types of activities, costs, financing and revenue to avoid any cross-subsidisation of economic activities.
- The procedure for public funding of Eurostars projects is determined by the Republic of Latvia Cabinet of Ministers Regulation No 259 of Granting Aid for Participation in International Cooperation Programmes in the Field of Research and Technologies, issued 26 May 2015.
The next steps
Read all our guidelines before submitting your project application.
Check your financial viability. Our tool indicates whether you have the financial capacity to support your costs in the project.