Eurostars is a funding programme that supports innovative SMEs and project partners (large companies, universities or research organisations) by funding international collaborative R&D and innovation projects. Projects should result in the creation of new products, processes and services that can be rapidly commercialised in European or global markets.
To apply, you must fulfil seven eligibility criteria:
- Your consortium is led by an innovative SME from a Eurostars country.
- Your consortium includes at least two independent entities.
- Your consortium includes entities from at least two Eurostars countries.
- The budget of the SME(s) from a Eurostars country is 50% or more of the total project cost, excluding subcontracting.
- No single participant or country is responsible for more than 70% of the project budget.
- The project duration is 36 months or less.
- The project has an exclusively civilian purpose.
To better understand these criteria, read our eligibility guidelines.
Malta Enterprise has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding:
- Participants must demonstrate how they can achieve economic growth through participating in the project. The project should expect to generate further growth to the Maltese economy (e.g. economic activity increase, employment growth and generation of new knowledge).
- When a cash grant has been applied for, participants must not begin work on their project before formal approval from the Corporation.
- There must be at least one SME in your consortium if your project includes organisations outside of the European Union or European Economic Area.
- If there are research or knowledge organisations participating as collaborative partners in your consortium, they should be responsible for at least 10% of the eligible project costs. They must also have the right to publish their own research results.
- No single participating organisation should be responsible for more than 70% of the project costs.
- Your company must not be an undertaking in difficulty.
The next steps
Read all our guidelines before submitting your project application.
Check your financial viability. Our tool indicates whether you have the financial capacity to support your costs in the project.