To apply, you must fulfil seven eligibility criteria:
- The project consortium is led by an innovative SME* from a Eurostars country.
- The project consortium is composed of at least two entities that are independent from one another.
- The project consortium is composed of entities from at least two participating countries with a minimum of one organisation from an EU or Horizon Europe Associated Country.
- The budget of the SMEs from the participating countries (excluding any subcontracting) is 50% or more of the total project cost.
- No single participant or country is responsible for more than 70% of the budget of the project.
- The project duration is 36 months or less***.
- The project has an exclusive focus on civil applications.
*We define an innovative SME as any SMEs with the ambition to collaborate on R&D and innovation with international partners to develop new products, processes and services for European and global markets. Innovative SMEs do not need to have a proven track record of R&D activities.
R&D: “Research and experimental development (R&D) comprise creative and systematic work undertaken in order to increase the stock of knowledge – including knowledge of humankind, culture and society – and to devise new applications of available knowledge.” (OECD Frascati Manual 2015, p. 44)
Innovation: “a new or improved product or process (or combination thereof) that differs significantly from the unit’s previous products or processes and that has been made available to potential users (product) or brought into use by the unit (process).” (OECD Oslo Manual 2018, p. 20)
**Eurostars countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
***If justified, you may be permitted an extension after your project has started. This must be approved by the Independent Evaluation Panel, Eureka Secretariat and relevant national funding bodies.
Please read all our guidelines before submitting a project application. If you do not meet all our eligibility criteria, your application will be rejected.
CDTI has additional national criteria for projects to be eligible to receive funding. Restrictions based on the EU framework for aid for research, development and innovation and the Spanish Law for Grants will be applied:
- Only SMEs with tax residence or permanent establishment in Spain can be beneficiaries of the grant managed by CDTI.
- Public entities (except public mercantile companies), companies underkaking in difficulties and entities subject to a pending recovery order after a previous decision of the European Commission that has declared an illegal and incompatible aid with the market are specifically excluded.
- Only SMEs that on the closing date of the Eurostars call have deposited the accounts of at least the last financial year in the corresponding official registry will be eligible for funding.
- Each Spanish SME can only receive funding for one application in each Eurostars call. If more than one Eurostars application is submitted, the Spanish applicant must explicitly indicate to CDTI during the Legal and Financial Viability Check which one continues in the evaluation process and which one/s is/are discarded.
- The start date of the Eurostars project must be after the closing date of the national call for funding in Spain (about 5 months after the Eurostars call closing date).
- The date of completion of the tasks of the Spanish partner cannot be later than the date indicated in the criteria of the national call for funding in Spain, if any.
- The activities that can be financed cannot exceed 36 months in duration. After granting the aid, in duly justified cases it is possible to authorize extensions of up to 6 months by modifying the grant resolution.
The next steps
Read all our guidelines before submitting your project application.
Check your financial viability. Our tool indicates whether you have the financial capacity to support your costs in the project.