MENU

Ecological liquidation of rubber waste using mobile equipment

To create a function prototype model of a mobile device for ecological liquidation of rubber. The project will result in the ecological liquidation of waste directly at source.

At present on the Czech market, there are very few companies engaged in the utilisation of tyres and rubber waste. In total, these companies are able to recycle about 35 thousand tons, where 45% is recycled and 55% incinerated. Though the CZECH REPUBLIC turns out about 60 tons of the worn-out tyres, there are about 25 thousand unusable tyres that disappear. This number increases owing to the import of rubber waste from abroad, which amounted to 12 thousand tons in 2000. Contemporary ways of recycling rubber waste in the CZECH REPUBLIC: * Material recycling - crushing tyres for building and similar purposes, where whole, cut or hacked tyres can be used for other purposes than originally intended. * Energy recycling - liquidation of worn-out tyres by being used as an alternative fuel e.g. in cement works. * Tyre retreating. The main objective of the proposed project is to create a function prototype model of a mobile device for the liquidation of rubber waste. The assumed yearly capacity of the model of the prototype mobile device varies between 280 and 390 tons of processed rubber waste. After the liquidation process and on the basis of the proposed solution, the following output is expected: - Rigid semi-product with carbon content of 90 - 96%. - Oil, e.g. applicable as an energy source. - Alternatively a gaseous part, e.g. applicable as an energy source. - Steel tyre cord, applicable as a secondary raw material. On the basis of the solution mentioned above, the rubber waste can be processed by pyrolysis into the mixture of hydrocarbons and carbon black. Some processes apply the pyrolysis combined with hydrogenation. A mixture of saturated hydrocarbons is a result of this process; the sulphur will be transferred into the H2S. Material composition of the tyres within the EU: Material: Rubber Personal motor cars: 48% Motor trucks: 43% The following legislative aspects have inspired us to propose this project: - The enforcement of the EU Directive ELVD (End of Live Vehicle Directive) obliges the car producer to recycle (renew) 85% of the motor vehicle. Even the automobile factories are to be responsible for it. There are about 9 million cars destroyed within the EUROPEAN UNION. About 75% of the mass of the car is steel, which can be easily re-applied. The remaining 25% are tyres (27.5 kg), glass (24.3 kg), foam and plastic (16.5 kg) and liquids (12.7 kg). The biggest remaining part is tyres. - It will not be possible to use old tyres for certain activities within the EUROPEAN UNION after 2006, and after 2010, no burning in cement works will be allowed. This was stated at the ETRA symposium (European Tyre Recycling Association), which took place in Brussels. Keywords: rubber recycling, mobile equipment, rubber waste.
Acronym: 
RUBBER
Project ID: 
3 866
Start date: 
01-01-2007
Project Duration: 
48months
Project costs: 
700 000.00€
Technological Area: 
Incineration and Pyrolysis
Market Area: 
Chemical and solid material recycling

Raising the productivity and competitiveness of European businesses through technology. Boosting national economies on the international market, and strengthening the basis for sustainable prosperity and employment.