MENU

Cost effective, high speed method for the production of optical fibre

Development of more efficient and faster optical fibre
production method that gives fibre with good reliability.
to enhance a process that is already competitive today in
order to meet future demands.

Optical fibre already forms an essential part of the telecommunications network in Europe. When optical subscriber networks are built, the price of the fibre itself will become more significant than it is today. This means that the fibre manufacturing method has to be made more effective. The aim of this project is to enhance the technology for more cost effective production of single-mode fibre. The area where the light travels in the single-mode fibre is less than 10% of the total area of the fibre. The most important factor affecting the price of the fibre is how the remaining 90% is manufactured. Today, this outer part of the fibre, manufactured using the Metallorganic Chemical Vapour Deposition (MCVD) method, consists of: (1) a quartz glass tube which is used as a substrate in the deposition phase, and (2) a second quartz glass tube which is put on top of the substrate tube after the deposition (sleeving tube). This sleeving technique, which is used today, increases the amount of fibre which can be drawn from one preform from about 10 to 50 km. The target of this project is to develop a technology to manufacture larger preform sizes with improved manufacturing efficiency and higher drawing speed to make the overall process more cost effective and efficient.
Acronym: 
HISFIB
Project ID: 
809
Start date: 
01-07-1992
Project Duration: 
24months
Project costs: 
2 000 000.00€
Technological Area: 
Market Area: 

Raising the productivity and competitiveness of European businesses through technology. Boosting national economies on the international market, and strengthening the basis for sustainable prosperity and employment.